Skip to main content

2025 52 Ancestors: Challenge - Isaac Wilcox

I think it's possible that without my 5th great grandfather, Isaac Wilcox, I may never have become as infatuated with genealogy as I am. He was supposed to be my ticket into the lineage society, Daughters of the American Revolution. My great grandmother, Ethel (Hinman) Eggenberger, and her daughter, Vera, had become members based on his alleged participation as a patriot in the war for independence. However, when his records didn't hold up under the scrutiny of modern day genealogical standards, he became that enigma for me that has held my interest ever since.

While I did, eventually, gain admittance into the DAR (via another ancestor's service), Isaac has remained a constant question mark for me. Upon submitting my original application to DAR's offices in D.C., the genealogist assigned to verify my case, wrote me a kind rejection letter explaining why Isaac Wilcox was no longer considered a "valid" patriot. It turned out that when this registrar did their due diligence to fact check Isaac's service in the Revolutionary War, he stumbled upon not just a couple men whose identities had been tangled together, but FIVE men. Five men all named Isaac Wilcox and all living in the vicinity of Dutchess County, New York during the American Revolution.

At least one of those five men had served in the Revolutionary War on behalf of the colonies. I had believed that man to be my Isaac Wilcox (and clearly so did my great grandmother). However, the DAR's genealogist had discovered that that Isaac had died in Indiana and had filed for a pension from the government, clearly explaining his service. This could not have been my Isaac, because mine died in Kingston, Delaware County, Ohio about 1825 and left a will clearly stating his heirs. 

Isaac Wilcox will, 27 Nov 1825, Ohio, p. 2.

In his biography that was printed locally there was nothing mentioned as to past military service, and he, nor any of his children, ever petitioned the government for a pension or compensation in any way for active military duty.

I do have that nagging feeling that he participated in the war in some way, given his age. I would love to be able to prove some sort of service for him one day, or at the very least, tease out his life story from that of the other Wilcox men in Dutchess County. It feels like a daunting task, so I have yet to take it on. And that's not the only challenge I would face in giving him his identity back.

In the book History of Lucerne County, there is a mention of brothers Crandall and Isaac Wilcox coming to the Wyoming Valley (in Pennsylvania) soon after 1772, but then escaping the Wyoming Massacre -- fleeing back home to Rhode Island. Initially, this would make sense to be this same Isaac based on timing. However, I have no record of him having a brother named Crandall. And to top it off, the name Crandall really only entered this branch of the family when Isaac married his wife Desire Crandall. They did have two sons named Crandall and Isaac Wilcox. You would think then that the story must be about those two brothers! However, then the timing and way in which the story was told would seem a tad off, as they'd only have been toddlers in 1772. At this point, anything is possible though.

And yes, one of those 5 Isaacs in Dutchess County to figure out was my 5th great grandfather's own son, Isaac Wilcox, Junior!





Comments

Popular Posts

2024 52 Ancestors: Origins - Physical Traits

Ever wonder who you inherited your dashing good looks from, those cute dimples, or how about that thinning hair line and thick love handles?  This week, I'm exploring the origins of physical traits in my family tree. The first one that instantly comes to mind are my eyes. I know exactly who I got the color from versus the shape of them! Many babies' irises can be seen changing colors for their first six months or so. I was told my parents thought for sure I was going to inherit my dad's blue eyes, because they stayed that way even nearing the 2 year mark. However, they ended up turning hazel -- the color of my mom's eyes. (Left) Beatrice (Millhouse) Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz Now, as for the shape of my eyeballs, I have my dad to thank for that! And I know this, because we have the same football-shaped stigmatism in each of our right eyes. Plus, a lazy eyelid over it, to boot! (Left) Gary Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz My long lashes definitely came from my maternal side. But...

2025 52 Ancestors: At the Library - First Outing to FamilySearch in Salt Lake City

Every genealogist should eventually make the trek out to SLC to visit the FamilySearch Library (formerly known as the Family History Library). It is open access and free to the public, like a city library, except it is wholly focused on genealogy research materials and managed by the company FamilySearch (founded by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Kira D. Foltz, photo of entrance to FamilySearch Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Mar 2025. One of the genealogy societies I belong to, Ventura County Genealogical Society ( VCGS ), makes an annual pilgrimage to the library on what they have termed the Salt Lake City Safari. I learned about their trip a couple years ago and felt I'd need to tag along when the schedule made sense for me. 2025 was the year! James McAleney, photo of VCGS Safari group at FamilySearch Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Mar 2025. Used with permission. A group of about 35 of us joined together in Utah for a week in March filled with family history resea...

Patient Zero AKA The First Post

  All diseases start somewhere, and the genealogy bug is no exception. I’m Kira Dawn Foltz, and you can think of me as Patient Zero. I’m here to help spread this disorder to the masses (or at least through the branches of my own tree)! And what better way to start the infection, than a history in how I caught the illness. My origin story. The year was 1993. I was 8 years old and in the 4th grade at Calvary Baptist School in Gardena, California, where my father had also attended elementary school (later Calvary Christian Academy, and now home to CrossRoad SouthBay). Mrs. Henken was my teacher. She was also my piano tutor’s wife and a very sweet lady to boot. If only she could have spotted the symptoms back then, who knows in what condition I’d be today! Mrs. Henken assigned us an oral presentation about one of our ancestors. My dad helped me reach out to my Aunt Sandra, the family historian, for information on where we came from. I received a letter from her with a fabulous tale of ...