Skip to main content

2024 52 Ancestors: Preserve - Canning and Saving

It's hard to think I'm related to my family when discussing the topic of food. My generation, also known as Gen-Y or Millennial, is well known for dining out at restaurants or ordering meal delivery on the daily. It's even a rare occurrence to see me enjoying leftovers! There's something about the elapsed time between the food being cooked and it being ingested that I just can't stomach.

So juxtaposing that lifestyle with those of my parents or grandparents feels like a world of difference. My parents, the Baby Boomers, really straddled the middle of two food cultures in America. They were born and grew up in a time where families gathered around the dinner table each evening to enjoy a home-cooked meal off the stove or out of the oven, which the matriarch of the family likely labored over for the majority of the day. 

(Left to right: Edna (Dean) Millhouse, Tommy Hogg, Beatrice (Dixon) Dean Cole, Mary (Dixon) Hogg, Beatrice and Frannie Millhouse in front)

Then, eventually, the newest invention in cooking became affordable in the 1970s: the microwave oven. This opened new avenues for their generation of instant, hot food. And, of course, fast-food and drive-thru eateries really started multiplying during my parents' adolescence, but for the most part, their generation remained pretty conservative when it came to food preparation.

The below image of my mom in her teen years making up a sandwich on the go in the car would be a rare sight today for the modern family. It would be an inconvenience in comparison to grabbing a bite on the road at a drive-thru.

Beatrice Millhouse, Big Bear, California.

From my perspective, even though I count myself extremely fortunate to be able to afford eating out all the time, I sometimes wish life hadn't made it so easy to do so. Perhaps if I had grown up without the luxury of fast-food or microwaves, then I may have gleaned more appreciation for leftovers or serving up some old family recipes in the kitchen. As it is, I detest the act of cooking or baking (and especially the cleaning afterwards). If I had been forced to spend more time in the kitchen, maybe I would have learned to love it. Maybe....

My mom recalls their family keeping all of the leftover bacon grease congealed in a jar over the stove that they'd reuse each morning to fry up their eggs with. The image this conjures for me is revolting, but if I had grown up in that environment, it obviously would have been so commonplace, I wouldn't have thought twice about recycling this ingredient.

And then there are my grandparents -- the Greatest Generation, or the G.I. Generation. They lived through the Great Depression and went out to fight in World War II. They were not only brought up cooking for themselves, but typically growing their own produce or raising their own cattle for butchering or milking, even! And due to the struggling times they lived through, they certainly didn't waste any food.

I once noticed my grandma, Edna (Dean) Millhouse, place a half-eaten apple back in the fridge. I found this odd, as she was clearly finished with it in that moment, and it was sure to turn brown. If this had been my apple, I would have thrown it out, despite the other half going to waste. When I asked her about it, she lectured me on not wasting a perfectly good apple that she could eat later on. She mentioned growing up during the Depression taught her the value of saving food, so you wouldn't starve. As an adult, nothing about this seems weird to me now, though it would still not be the actions I would take, admittedly being groomed in a more wasteful society.

Her holistic approach to eating was taught to her through their generation's way of life. And her sisters confirmed they all ate well growing up. They didn't need to rely on restaurants, or take-out, the way my generation does:

Sheila (Dean) Pendleton and Thelma (Dean) Mays, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Their mother and aunts were excellent preservers as well! It was just the way of life to work inline with the seasons, planting and harvesting, then picking and preserving. This would sustain the whole family, as well as neighbors and friends.

Mary and Tommy Hogg

Letter from Sheila Pendleton to Kira Foltz about her mother Beatrice and aunt Mary.

In my cupboard, the only canned goods you'll find are store-bought and mostly only kept for emergency situations, like earthquake preparedness. You certainly won't discover any canned fruits or vegetables picked from my own garden. You won't even find that garden! The shelf life of many foods in my fridge and pantry are two weeks at best. There's plenty I could learn from my relatives about food preservation. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 52 Ancestors: Origins - Physical Traits

Ever wonder who you inherited your dashing good looks from, those cute dimples, or how about that thinning hair line and thick love handles?  This week, I'm exploring the origins of physical traits in my family tree. The first one that instantly comes to mind are my eyes. I know exactly who I got the color from versus the shape of them! Many babies' irises can be seen changing colors for their first six months or so. I was told my parents thought for sure I was going to inherit my dad's blue eyes, because they stayed that way even nearing the 2 year mark. However, they ended up turning hazel -- the color of my mom's eyes. (Left) Beatrice (Millhouse) Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz Now, as for the shape of my eyeballs, I have my dad to thank for that! And I know this, because we have the same football-shaped stigmatism in each of our right eyes. Plus, a lazy eyelid over it, to boot! (Left) Gary Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz My long lashes definitely came from my maternal side. But

"Newsworthy" Trip Overseas

When one imagines staying on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with the beach at their fingertips and palm trees canvassing the horizon in front of picturesque, cotton candy-colored sunsets, it's likely not to be in the thick of a world war. However, my grandmother, Edna Arlene (Dean) Millhouse, could recount just such a memory. Edna Dean on Tinian Island, 1945. During World War II, she utilized her training as a registered nurse to serve in the U.S. Army as a 1st Lieutenant. Edna Dean during World War II. While part of her service remained shoreside at Newton D. Baker General Hospital in Martinsburg, West Virginia, one of her wartime assignments brought her to the island of Tinian, part of the Northern Mariana Islands to the east of the Philippines and mainland Japan. Edna Dean in between her parents, Beatrice and Chester Dean at Newton D. Baker General Hospital. After Saipan was invaded, Tinian became the next target for the marine forces. The name Jig Day was

2024 52 Ancestors: Changing Names - Grandfather Foltz

During my grandfather's lifetime, in 1936, social security numbers were invented by the government in order to keep track of employment wages and histories of United States workers in an effort to determine their entitlement to benefits out of the social security fund. Harry Foltz, Portland, Oregon, 1930. This new line of bureaucratic red tape may have been the reason my grandfather and his mother went on the hunt for a record of his birth. The same issue appeared to crop up when it was time to apply for a passport as well. Although they were both certain he was born 3 February 1910 on their homestead in Fort Rock, Oregon, there was no extant documentation claiming so.  Oregon State Board of Health, "Birth Record Application," 8 Mar 1958. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, copy of 1920 U.S. federal census enumeration details for Foltz, Harry A., 27 Aug 1942. His mother had to write up a deposition testifying to the details of his and his siblings' births in