Skip to main content

2024 52 Ancestors: Technology - The Nuts and Bolts of Wagons

As I piece together the family tree, it's interesting to think about my 3rd great grandfather, Alban Francis Dimond, who worked as a blacksmith in the mid 1800s and pieced together components of wagons. 

Unknown photographer, T. W. Magelssen and dairy wagon, circa 1880s.

Only in recent years did I discover Alban could not have been the biological father of my 2nd great grandmother, Emma Virginia Diamond. In fact, I'm fairly certain she was unaware of this misattributed parentage also, but it doesn't mean he wasn't her dad. The Dimond/Diamond surname will always remain a part of my ancestry.

What else will always remain are the patents filed by Alban in the 1870s with the United States Patent Office. He left behind a legacy of achievement in technology for his time. Initially, I only knew of two of his applications for patents via newspaper announcements:

The Pittsburgh Daily Commercial, "List of Patents," 16 Jan 1875.

The Tribune, "List of Patents," 20 Nov 1876.


I attempted to find the actual patents a few years ago, but the U. S. Patent Office's search database did not have scans readily available for certificates that far back in history. Today, their site does go back into the 1800s, however, there appear to either be some dates missing or their database results are too finely skewed.

But, a simple Google search for "patents" now returns a top result of Google Patents. This site makes it incredibly easy to strike patent gold. A few keystrokes later, you just may discover an ancestor who filed a patent! It's as simple as inputting a name or an invention and clicking a magnifying glass icon to weed through a few dozen PDF files of patents.



Not only was I able to find documents relating to the two newspaper mentions for Alban's inventions of Nut-Locks and Wagon-Standards, but I found an additional patent for Circular-Saw Teeth. 


Plus, I discovered a patent by another fellow in Pennsylvania in which Alban acted as a witness.


These documents are also great leads for future research on this ancestor. Due to his unusual first name and common variant of his surname, the known records for Alban have ranged in all sorts of spellings from Albert to Almer to Abraham to Alvin (and the list goes on, including using his middle name of Francis). The fact that all four of these patent documents corroborate his name as Alban F. Dimond, lets me know this was his preferred name and spelling for official documents.

These sources also give residences for Alban over a handful of years. They allow me to place him in different cities at specific points of time. And, in addition, by naming the witnesses, I now have a larger FAN (Friends & Family, Associates, and Neighbors) club to study for him. Perhaps someone in that FAN club could have been my 2nd great grandmother's true biological father (scandalous). I already know there's a possibility that one of his patent co-inventors, James A. Mullen, may be a familial relation. I suspect he may have been Alban's brother-in-law. However, that's a hypothesis to work out on another day.

It's pretty incredible to know there was an inventor in the family. It's also sad to think about the fact that Alban died very young at the age of 35, just a couple years after he witnessed the above patent. Think of all the ideas he likely had stored in his head for future inventions or improvements that were never able to come to pass!

About a decade after his death, Carl Benz applied for a patent for the first vehicle powered by a gas engine in Germany. Would Alban be a competitor in this race if he were still around by then? His expertise in wagon-building technology certainly would have given him a head start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 52 Ancestors: Origins - Physical Traits

Ever wonder who you inherited your dashing good looks from, those cute dimples, or how about that thinning hair line and thick love handles?  This week, I'm exploring the origins of physical traits in my family tree. The first one that instantly comes to mind are my eyes. I know exactly who I got the color from versus the shape of them! Many babies' irises can be seen changing colors for their first six months or so. I was told my parents thought for sure I was going to inherit my dad's blue eyes, because they stayed that way even nearing the 2 year mark. However, they ended up turning hazel -- the color of my mom's eyes. (Left) Beatrice (Millhouse) Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz Now, as for the shape of my eyeballs, I have my dad to thank for that! And I know this, because we have the same football-shaped stigmatism in each of our right eyes. Plus, a lazy eyelid over it, to boot! (Left) Gary Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz My long lashes definitely came from my maternal side. But

"Newsworthy" Trip Overseas

When one imagines staying on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with the beach at their fingertips and palm trees canvassing the horizon in front of picturesque, cotton candy-colored sunsets, it's likely not to be in the thick of a world war. However, my grandmother, Edna Arlene (Dean) Millhouse, could recount just such a memory. Edna Dean on Tinian Island, 1945. During World War II, she utilized her training as a registered nurse to serve in the U.S. Army as a 1st Lieutenant. Edna Dean during World War II. While part of her service remained shoreside at Newton D. Baker General Hospital in Martinsburg, West Virginia, one of her wartime assignments brought her to the island of Tinian, part of the Northern Mariana Islands to the east of the Philippines and mainland Japan. Edna Dean in between her parents, Beatrice and Chester Dean at Newton D. Baker General Hospital. After Saipan was invaded, Tinian became the next target for the marine forces. The name Jig Day was

2024 52 Ancestors: Changing Names - Grandfather Foltz

During my grandfather's lifetime, in 1936, social security numbers were invented by the government in order to keep track of employment wages and histories of United States workers in an effort to determine their entitlement to benefits out of the social security fund. Harry Foltz, Portland, Oregon, 1930. This new line of bureaucratic red tape may have been the reason my grandfather and his mother went on the hunt for a record of his birth. The same issue appeared to crop up when it was time to apply for a passport as well. Although they were both certain he was born 3 February 1910 on their homestead in Fort Rock, Oregon, there was no extant documentation claiming so.  Oregon State Board of Health, "Birth Record Application," 8 Mar 1958. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, copy of 1920 U.S. federal census enumeration details for Foltz, Harry A., 27 Aug 1942. His mother had to write up a deposition testifying to the details of his and his siblings' births in