Skip to main content

The Fashion Dos, Don’ts, and Disasters of the Eggenberger Siblings

There’s nothing I love more than staring down a photograph of an ancestor, examining every minute detail, from the location of where it was taken to the era in which it was captured. But there’s one thing that captivates me the most about each one, and that’s the fashion!

For the most part, my ancestral tree is filled with superbly, fine-dressed folks whom I share so much admiration for, for the sheer reason of getting all dolled up just to leave their house! In this day & age, you’ll hardly see me donning much more than joggers and a sweatshirt. So I have to tip my hat (pun intended) to all the generations that came before my lazy millennial crowd.

John C. Eggenberger and his kids (left to right) Alta, Raymond, Louise, and Vera, Ottawa, Kansas, circa 1920, original photo in possession of Sandra Vallo.

In fact, my grandmother, Alta (Eggenberger) Foltz, is one whom I’ve always thought extremely photographic. The camera took kindly to her on most all occasions. 

Harry and Alta Foltz, Easter Sunday wedding photo, 2 Apr 1939, original photo in possession of Kira Foltz.

But not everything in the Eggenberger wardrobe was the most flattering. Here’s where Alta and her siblings may have gone right, wrong, or just plain sideways:


FASHION DO


John C. Eggenberger and son Raymond, circa 1926, original photo in possession of Sandra Vallo.

Alta’s younger brother Raymond is looking quite dapper in his 3-piece suit, standing with their father, John. He may not seem pleased, but the men of this family sure knew how to look sharp.

Siblings Vera, Louise, Raymond, and Alta Eggenberger, likely in Kansas, circa 1920.

And while oversized bows may have long gone out of style, it’s definitely making a comeback now, so Alta’s two older sisters, Vera and Louise, were just century-old trendsetters!

I think all the kids look well put together here in their dark stockings and light tops and dresses.


FASHION DON’T


Louise Eggenberger and husband Sidney North, undated photo.

Here’s a snap of Louise with her husband Sidney North, likely in their early 20s, ready for a night on the town, I’m sure. With her coat, gloves, hat, nylons, and hair done up, I can certainly say she would be styling in her heyday. 

However, in these modern times, I’ve got to knock her outfit down a peg, as it’s quite likely that the fur wrapped around her neck is real animal fur. If it were faux fur, then she wouldn’t be earning a faux pas for this look!


FASHION DISASTER


And that brings us to our fashion disaster hidden amongst all of my Eggenberger family photos.

Louise and Vera Eggenberger, circa 1922.

This pic features two of Alta’s sisters, Louise and Vera. I think their twinning dresses were likely meant for Halloween or a school play maybe, but with no context of why they are done up as human-sized flowers, I must deem this attire a runway nightmare.

It’s the head gear with the petals that really puts me off! The girls sure seem to be proud of their costumes though. I give them credit for modeling this garb so contently. I have no doubt they were homemade, and to that effect, I fully applaud my great grandmother for her excellent sewing and stitching skills, since it was likely her handiwork. Let’s just hope there really was a performance-type purpose for these frocks, and the girls didn’t wear those hats out in public.


FASHIONABLE FAMILY


Overall, the Eggenberger siblings were some of the most fashionable kids in my family tree, and it’s a wonder that happened, considering their grandmother, Ester (Sauvain) Eggenberger, was a fairly strict Mennonite, who stuck to wearing traditional and modest ensembles. 

But they were lucky to have grown up in the 1920s and 30s, really, in the golden age of fashion!


(Photo on Left) Ester (Sauvain) Eggenberger Ziegler with grandchildren Vera, Louise, and Alta Eggenberger, undated. (Photo on Right) Alta Eggenberger at sister Vera's wedding, 1930.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 52 Ancestors: Origins - Physical Traits

Ever wonder who you inherited your dashing good looks from, those cute dimples, or how about that thinning hair line and thick love handles?  This week, I'm exploring the origins of physical traits in my family tree. The first one that instantly comes to mind are my eyes. I know exactly who I got the color from versus the shape of them! Many babies' irises can be seen changing colors for their first six months or so. I was told my parents thought for sure I was going to inherit my dad's blue eyes, because they stayed that way even nearing the 2 year mark. However, they ended up turning hazel -- the color of my mom's eyes. (Left) Beatrice (Millhouse) Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz Now, as for the shape of my eyeballs, I have my dad to thank for that! And I know this, because we have the same football-shaped stigmatism in each of our right eyes. Plus, a lazy eyelid over it, to boot! (Left) Gary Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz My long lashes definitely came from my maternal side. But

"Newsworthy" Trip Overseas

When one imagines staying on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with the beach at their fingertips and palm trees canvassing the horizon in front of picturesque, cotton candy-colored sunsets, it's likely not to be in the thick of a world war. However, my grandmother, Edna Arlene (Dean) Millhouse, could recount just such a memory. Edna Dean on Tinian Island, 1945. During World War II, she utilized her training as a registered nurse to serve in the U.S. Army as a 1st Lieutenant. Edna Dean during World War II. While part of her service remained shoreside at Newton D. Baker General Hospital in Martinsburg, West Virginia, one of her wartime assignments brought her to the island of Tinian, part of the Northern Mariana Islands to the east of the Philippines and mainland Japan. Edna Dean in between her parents, Beatrice and Chester Dean at Newton D. Baker General Hospital. After Saipan was invaded, Tinian became the next target for the marine forces. The name Jig Day was

2024 52 Ancestors: Changing Names - Grandfather Foltz

During my grandfather's lifetime, in 1936, social security numbers were invented by the government in order to keep track of employment wages and histories of United States workers in an effort to determine their entitlement to benefits out of the social security fund. Harry Foltz, Portland, Oregon, 1930. This new line of bureaucratic red tape may have been the reason my grandfather and his mother went on the hunt for a record of his birth. The same issue appeared to crop up when it was time to apply for a passport as well. Although they were both certain he was born 3 February 1910 on their homestead in Fort Rock, Oregon, there was no extant documentation claiming so.  Oregon State Board of Health, "Birth Record Application," 8 Mar 1958. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, copy of 1920 U.S. federal census enumeration details for Foltz, Harry A., 27 Aug 1942. His mother had to write up a deposition testifying to the details of his and his siblings' births in