Skip to main content

Kicked the Bucket When Kicked By a Horse

 NOVEMBER 10, 2021

The death of my great grandfather must have come as quite the surprise to my great grandmother. Roy Foltz was only 43 years old when he died after surgery at Walla Walla Hospital.

Week 43: Shock

The story, as told in the Foltz family, was that George LeeRoy Foltz was shoeing a horse when it kicked him in the stomach. The damage was intense enough to send him to the hospital. It's said when they opened him up, they found a cancerous tumor the size of a man's head. Though he made it off the operating table, he unfortunately died a few days later.

Washington State Board of Health, Roy Foltz death certificate, record no. 167, registered no. 579, 25 Nov 1923, Walla Walla, Walla Walla, Washington.

All of this took place in Walla Walla, Washington. At the time, Roy and Myrtle were living in Weston, Oregon, but Roy ran a wagon team, so it's likely he was out on the road working.

George LeeRoy Foltz, 1912, Oregon.

There is a conflicting report of what occurred at this time. Another relative heard a team of wagons had an accident, which was the cause of his surgery. It's unclear at this time which of the tales is true. I have not yet found a timely record of the incident in writing, save for the aftermath. But suffice it to say, Roy's death was a shock to Myrtle, their children, and extended family members.

Comments

Popular Posts

2024 52 Ancestors: Origins - Physical Traits

Ever wonder who you inherited your dashing good looks from, those cute dimples, or how about that thinning hair line and thick love handles?  This week, I'm exploring the origins of physical traits in my family tree. The first one that instantly comes to mind are my eyes. I know exactly who I got the color from versus the shape of them! Many babies' irises can be seen changing colors for their first six months or so. I was told my parents thought for sure I was going to inherit my dad's blue eyes, because they stayed that way even nearing the 2 year mark. However, they ended up turning hazel -- the color of my mom's eyes. (Left) Beatrice (Millhouse) Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz Now, as for the shape of my eyeballs, I have my dad to thank for that! And I know this, because we have the same football-shaped stigmatism in each of our right eyes. Plus, a lazy eyelid over it, to boot! (Left) Gary Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz My long lashes definitely came from my maternal side. But...

2025 52 Ancestors: At the Library - First Outing to FamilySearch in Salt Lake City

Every genealogist should eventually make the trek out to SLC to visit the FamilySearch Library (formerly known as the Family History Library). It is open access and free to the public, like a city library, except it is wholly focused on genealogy research materials and managed by the company FamilySearch (founded by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Kira D. Foltz, photo of entrance to FamilySearch Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Mar 2025. One of the genealogy societies I belong to, Ventura County Genealogical Society ( VCGS ), makes an annual pilgrimage to the library on what they have termed the Salt Lake City Safari. I learned about their trip a couple years ago and felt I'd need to tag along when the schedule made sense for me. 2025 was the year! James McAleney, photo of VCGS Safari group at FamilySearch Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Mar 2025. Used with permission. A group of about 35 of us joined together in Utah for a week in March filled with family history resea...

Patient Zero AKA The First Post

  All diseases start somewhere, and the genealogy bug is no exception. I’m Kira Dawn Foltz, and you can think of me as Patient Zero. I’m here to help spread this disorder to the masses (or at least through the branches of my own tree)! And what better way to start the infection, than a history in how I caught the illness. My origin story. The year was 1993. I was 8 years old and in the 4th grade at Calvary Baptist School in Gardena, California, where my father had also attended elementary school (later Calvary Christian Academy, and now home to CrossRoad SouthBay). Mrs. Henken was my teacher. She was also my piano tutor’s wife and a very sweet lady to boot. If only she could have spotted the symptoms back then, who knows in what condition I’d be today! Mrs. Henken assigned us an oral presentation about one of our ancestors. My dad helped me reach out to my Aunt Sandra, the family historian, for information on where we came from. I received a letter from her with a fabulous tale of ...