Skip to main content

Am I Seeing Double?

 FEBRUARY 28, 2021

When I think multiples in genealogy, I think TWINS!

Week 9: Multiples

I remember a moment before I got interested in genealogy when my maternal grandparents, who were living with us, showed me a piece of paper with a list of children’s names on it. At the time, the names were mostly meaningless to me. But a few things about this list stood out to me!

1) It was a long list! I couldn’t understand how someone could have that many children (I still can’t.)

2) There were twins listed – three sets of them! Twins have always fascinated me. Oddly, 3 people that I work with in my department right now are twins (last year there were 4) – that seems like a lot, considering there are only 15 people in my department.

3) One of the babies in a different lot, Benjamin David, listed toward the bottom of the form was born absurdly large! It weighed in at a whopping 17 pounds. Sadly, it did not survive past birth.

See the paper below! The 3 sets of twins are listed under the ‘Grandparents’ section.

Raymond Lee Millhouse, “Mom’s Family Tree,” undated, privately held by Raymond Millhouse’s granddaughter Kira D. Foltz.

Raymond Lee Millhouse, “Mom’s Family Tree,” undated, privately held by Raymond Millhouse’s granddaughter Kira D. Foltz.

Of course, now looking at this sheet of paper, I understand so much more about what I’m looking at. I also care so much more about what I’m looking at. And I curse the day I was shown this as a high schooler and didn’t ask follow-up questions! Because, I have so many now.


My family had always said the common phrase “Twins run in the family.” But I have to say before seeing this sheet of paper, I didn’t actually believe them -- considering I had never met a twin in our family. So, if they ran in our family, where were they? Everyone thought my sister and I were twins, because we looked so much alike, but we had more than a 2 year age difference!

Beatrice Anna (Millhouse) Foltz, photo of Gary Jon Foltz reading to daughters Brittany Elise Foltz (left) and Kira Dawn Foltz (right), January 1990, Gardena, California, USA, privately held by Kira D. Foltz.

Beatrice Anna (Millhouse) Foltz, photo of Gary Jon Foltz reading to daughters Brittany Elise Foltz (left) and Kira Dawn Foltz (right), January 1990, Gardena, California, USA, privately held by Kira D. Foltz.

Turns out, they had run in the family, but a couple generations back, and this strip of paper was the proof! They were all born to my 3rd great grandparents, Ann Eliza (McCann) and Robert Jordan Williams, pictured below.

Black and white digital photo of Robert Jordan Williams and Ann Eliza (McCann) Williams, ca. 1930, Ancestry (https://ancestry.com : accessed 28 Feb 2021); uploaded by user Fox_RobertM.

Black and white digital photo of Robert Jordan Williams and Ann Eliza (McCann) Williams, ca. 1930, Ancestry (https://ancestry.com : accessed 28 Feb 2021); uploaded by user Fox_RobertM.

My 2nd great grandfather, Benjamin Franklin Williams, was one of the sets. Benjamin was born 15 March 1876 in Glen Easton, Marshall County, West Virginia along with his twin, Harmon/Hiram S Williams. The “S” likely stood for Sylvester, a family name. And their brothers, Harvey and Harry, were also twins born a year later (sadly, Harry died as a baby). And their sisters, Susan and Effie, were also twins born a few years later in 1881. You’d think with such a unique brood, I’d have more photos for this branch of the family, but I really don’t have many at all – and none that feature any of the twins together!

Here’s the photo I have of my 2nd great grandfather – one of the “multiples”:

Photo of Emma Virginia (Diamond) Williams and Benjamin Franklin Williams, Powhatan, Ohio, ca. 1940, in personal possession of descendant Kira D. Foltz.

Photo of Emma Virginia (Diamond) Williams and Benjamin Franklin Williams, Powhatan, Ohio, ca. 1940, in personal possession of descendant Kira D. Foltz.

On the paternal side of my family, there is also a singular set of twins that I know of — my great grandmother Myrtle May Mill’s siblings. Rumor has it her sisters Mamie & Minnie were actually a part of a quadruplet birth, however, the birth registration record I’ve been able to recover claims they were triplets (the 3rd being a boy who died during birth).

Photo of Mamie Garfield Mills and twin Minnie Grant Mills, in possession of descendant Mary Anwar.

Photo of Mamie Garfield Mills and twin Minnie Grant Mills, in possession of descendant Mary Anwar.

Comments

Popular Posts

2024 52 Ancestors: Origins - Physical Traits

Ever wonder who you inherited your dashing good looks from, those cute dimples, or how about that thinning hair line and thick love handles?  This week, I'm exploring the origins of physical traits in my family tree. The first one that instantly comes to mind are my eyes. I know exactly who I got the color from versus the shape of them! Many babies' irises can be seen changing colors for their first six months or so. I was told my parents thought for sure I was going to inherit my dad's blue eyes, because they stayed that way even nearing the 2 year mark. However, they ended up turning hazel -- the color of my mom's eyes. (Left) Beatrice (Millhouse) Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz Now, as for the shape of my eyeballs, I have my dad to thank for that! And I know this, because we have the same football-shaped stigmatism in each of our right eyes. Plus, a lazy eyelid over it, to boot! (Left) Gary Foltz; (Right) Kira Foltz My long lashes definitely came from my maternal side. But...

2025 52 Ancestors: At the Library - First Outing to FamilySearch in Salt Lake City

Every genealogist should eventually make the trek out to SLC to visit the FamilySearch Library (formerly known as the Family History Library). It is open access and free to the public, like a city library, except it is wholly focused on genealogy research materials and managed by the company FamilySearch (founded by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Kira D. Foltz, photo of entrance to FamilySearch Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Mar 2025. One of the genealogy societies I belong to, Ventura County Genealogical Society ( VCGS ), makes an annual pilgrimage to the library on what they have termed the Salt Lake City Safari. I learned about their trip a couple years ago and felt I'd need to tag along when the schedule made sense for me. 2025 was the year! James McAleney, photo of VCGS Safari group at FamilySearch Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Mar 2025. Used with permission. A group of about 35 of us joined together in Utah for a week in March filled with family history resea...

Patient Zero AKA The First Post

  All diseases start somewhere, and the genealogy bug is no exception. I’m Kira Dawn Foltz, and you can think of me as Patient Zero. I’m here to help spread this disorder to the masses (or at least through the branches of my own tree)! And what better way to start the infection, than a history in how I caught the illness. My origin story. The year was 1993. I was 8 years old and in the 4th grade at Calvary Baptist School in Gardena, California, where my father had also attended elementary school (later Calvary Christian Academy, and now home to CrossRoad SouthBay). Mrs. Henken was my teacher. She was also my piano tutor’s wife and a very sweet lady to boot. If only she could have spotted the symptoms back then, who knows in what condition I’d be today! Mrs. Henken assigned us an oral presentation about one of our ancestors. My dad helped me reach out to my Aunt Sandra, the family historian, for information on where we came from. I received a letter from her with a fabulous tale of ...